What Rights and Obligations Do Attorneys Have?
- They must assume that you can make your own decisions unless it is established that you cannot do so.
- They must help you to make as many of your own decisions as you can.
- They must take all practical steps to help you to make a decision.
- They can only treat you as unable to make a decision if they have not succeeded in helping you make a decision through those steps.
- They must not treat you as unable to make a decision simply because you make an unwise decision.
- They must act and make decisions in your best interests when you are unable to make a decision.
- Before they make a decision or act for you, they must consider whether they can make the decision or act in a way that is less restrictive of your rights and freedom but still achieves the purpose.
- They must always act in your best interests
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!